Energy and mining have been a key focus sector for us over many years. We work closely with top-ranked international Herbert Smith Freehills' energy group. Our energy and mining group represents a number of the global and regional natural resources and energy majors in relation to their Indonesian activities.
We also advise some of the world's largest mineral sector investors in relation to the establishment and operation of mines and associated activities across Indonesia. Our lawyers are familiar with the operations of Indonesia's contract of work system and related issues. We have in-depth experience of the complex issues arising from mining activities due to Indonesia's regional autonomy and forestry laws.
Our partners have broad experience in advising major oil companies on major Indonesian energy, oil and gas transactions and their financing. We have a full-service oil and gas practice with experts who are familiar with acquisitions/divestments, regulatory issues, joint operation structuring, contractual arrangements and due diligence in Indonesia.
In recent years, legislation has opened the door for foreign participation in Indonesia's oil and gas downstream sector. Industry participants are exploring opportunities across a range of downstream businesses. We advise several oil majors on licensing and associated issues to enable them to establish downstream businesses in Indonesia.
We also have experience in advising on major electricity projects (including geothermal, hydro, IPPs and captive plants) and issues arising from these projects in practice.
".. Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung has a strong reputation in the market.
Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2015
Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung has ‘excellent industry and local knowledge, solid business acumen, a practical approach and an ability quickly to focus on key issues’.
Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2014
Leading corporate and commercial firm, Hiswara Bunjamin & Tanjdung is 'known for long-standing expertise in the mining, oil and gas and power sectors'.
ILFR 1000, 2014
Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung 'understands the Indonesian legal system and is able to provide very practical innovative solutions'.
Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2012
DEBT CAPITAL MARKET
- Pertamina Drilling Services Indonesia: acting as legal counselon its joint venture with KS Energy to jointly undertake a US$98 million drilling rig services contract for an international oil company in Indonesia
- Kangean Energy Indonesia: acting as legal counsel on its US$875 million 10-year charter contract (with additional options of up to four years) with BW Offshore for a floating production unit to operate on the Terang Sirasun Batur gas fields in Indonesia
- Kodeco Energy Co, Ltd: acting as Indonesia legal counsel on the sale of part of Kodeco’s interest in West Madura Offshore PSC
- PTTEP: advising PTTEP on Indonesian aspects of its participation in the USD 30 billion East Natuna PSC gas project in Indonesia.
- INPEX as Indonesia legal counselon various issues relating to its Indonesian oil and gas PSC investments
- Santos: as Indonesia legal counselon various matters arising under its Indonesian PSCs, including the transfer of interests in those PSCs to local participants
- Mitsubishi Corporation: actingas Indonesia legal counselon its US$352 million acquisition of a strategic 19.9% interest in Medco Energi, a large Indonesian oil & gas company
- Hess Corporation: acting as Indonesia legal counsel on piped gas supply arrangements from an offshore Indonesia PSC into Singapore via a long term field depletion gas sales agreement and in relation to associated gas sales agreements with Indonesian domestic buyers
- China National Offshore Oil Corporation(CNOOC): advising CNOOC on the sale of CNOOC ONWJ Ltd, the holding company for its 36.72% interest in the Offshore North West Java production sharing contract in Indonesia, for consideration of approximately US$212 million to a subsidiary of Energy Mega Persada Tbk, an energy company listed in Indonesia
- Concord Energy Pte Ltd.: advising Concord Energy on Indonesian aspects of their options in relation to a PSC majority owned by one of their subsidiaries (ie sale, PSC extension etc).
- Trafigura/Puma Energy: advising Concord Energy on Indonesian aspects of their options in relation to a PSC majority owned by one of their subsidiaries (ie sale, PSC extension etc).
- Rio Tinto and BP: advising Rio Tinto and BP on their investments in PT Kaltim Prima Coal (KPC) including in relation to their localisation obligations under the KPC contract of work and sale of their interests to Bumi Resources
- Rio Tinto: assisting Rio Tinto on negotiation of its proposed contract of work for a very large, long term nickel project in Lasampala, Sulawesi
- Malaysian Smelting Corporation: assisting Malaysian Smelting Corporation on establishing contract mining arrangements for various Indonesian mining concessions
- BHP Billiton: acting as Indonesia legal counsel on various Indonesian mining projects, including the operations of and regulatory issues relating to the Kendilo, Maruwai and Arutmin coal projects in Kalimantan, and its mandatory divestment obligations
- BHP Billiton: acting as Indonesia legal counsel on a strategic review of the Maruwai coal project which comprises of 7 Coal Contract of Work companies with resources of approximately 774 million tonnes of metallurgical and thermal coals
- Newcrest Mining Limited: assisting long term key client Newcrest Mining Limited’s subsidiary in Indonesia, PT Nusa Halmahera Minerals, on the operations and corporate matters of the Gosowong gold project (and Togaruci expansion project) on Halmahera Island, Molaccas, in joint venture with Aneka Tambang, Indonesia’s state general mining company
- Tambang Batubara Bukit Asam,Indonesia’s state owned coal mining company with respect to preparation for its privatisation and restructuring, together with a number of its operational transactions
- Aneka Tambang, Indonesia’s state owned general mining company in relation to the restructuring and legal audit of Aneka Tambang for the proposed privatization
- Essar Investment Ltd.: assisting and advising Essar with the establishment of an EPC company in order to support the operation of Essar coal company in Indonesia
- Eforce Holdings Ltd.: advising Eforce on all aspects of acquisition of PT Bara Coal Mine with consideration of HK$500 million (US$ 64 million) payable in two series of convertible bonds
- Southgobi Energy Resources: advising Southgobi on disposal ofits Mamahak Coal Project to ASX listed Kangaroo Resources Ltd.
- an Indonesian utility: acting as legal counsel in relation to the interpretation and enforcement of a power purchase agreement and the financing documents for an independent power producer
- EDF Trading: assisting EDF Tradingon legal due diligence on Bersaudara Simalungun Energi, in relation to the PLTA-Silau 2 power project at Simalungun, North Sumatra
- Asian Development Bank: acting as Indonesia legal counsel on the development of power sector restructuring policy. Involved in the preparation and drafting of new law and government regulation regarding electricity which are expected to replace the existing Law No.15 of 1985 and Government Regulation No.10 of 1989
- The World Bank: assisting The World Bank on power sector regulatory reform and development of private power
- consortium of Siemens AG, PowerGen and their local partner: acting as Indonesia legal counsel on the project to establish, develop, own, finance and operate a 2 X 610 MW coal-fired power plant in Paiton, East Java (Paiton II Power Project)
- consortium of Southern Electric International and its local partners: acting as Indonesia legal counsel on the project to develop, own and operate a 2 x 100 MW coal-fired power plant in Tarahan, Lampung, South Sumatra
- an Indonesian developer: assistingon risk allocation in and negotiating amendments to a new offtake agreement between a captive power plant and a new offtaker in anticipation of a sale of part of the original offtaker’s complex
- syndicate of offshore lenders, arranged by Bank of America: assisting in relation to the US$250 million project financing for geothermal private power plants No.s 3, 4 and 5 (each of 55 MW) at Gunung Salak, West Java, developed by Unocal Corporation
- consortium of lenders: acting as Indonesia legal counsel in relation to project finance for the construction and operation of the Serpong Combined Cycle Gas Power Plant Project, West Java
- Bimantara Citra: acting as legal counsel in the development of a 450 MW coal fired power plant in Cilacap, Central Jawa, in conjunction with Mitsubishi Corporation, Duke Energy and Kanugrahan Kartika Perkasa
- Mitsui: assisting Mitsui on the proposed new green field power project in Indonesia